In 24 hours I will have an 18 year old....
For centuries millions of mothers have survived this day...
But, wow, not sure this momma is ready for it!
As tomorrow approaches I have found my self reflecting on all that I have learned the last 18 years.
So, I am going to ramble for 18 sentences - of course there's been more than 18 lessons but, I have the number 18 on the brain :)
- Listen. To. EVERY. Word. - Kids say alot while they don't say much
- Pray. EVERY. Day. - I parented him with Jesus at my side. Wow, the miracles I saw!
- Hug them even when they don't hug you back - Sometimes that is when they need it the most
- Remember parenting ISN'T about you - If you are looking for warm fuzzies, buy a snuggie
- God KNEW that THIS child BELONGED in YOUR home and in YOUR care - Yep, really
- TELL them what you respect about them - They WILL hear you and believe it
- Instill & follow-through on first time obedience - It will save a lot of drama
- When you are disciplining them and you stumble over your words; LAUGH - They will love it
- Let them SEE you praise Jesus for the little & big things - It teaches thankfulness in ALL moments
- They are not a mini-you - Encourage THEIR path in THEIR journey
- Assume everything they tell you is a secret - Well, 'cause it probably is or should be
- Don't react to anything they tell you - File it away. If they fear your reaction, they may not share
- Remember that this child is a SOUL created for an ETERNITY - ***It WILL change your parenting
- Share your life mistakes - It shows you are real and it may prevent a repeat by them
- Tell them, often, you want your ceiling to be their floor - The reasons for this are endless!
- Talk about the future - It helps you help them see, dream, design, and BELIEVE in their potential
- Ask a lot of questions - the answers will help you do #1-16 better
- LOVE them as Christ loves you - With COMPLETE grace, forgiveness, guidance, discipline, & a sacrificial life
And now, I will get my kleenex, wake up my 'for one more day 17 year old' & hug him!